- “Legal Transparency in Dynastic China: The Legalist-Confucianist Debate and Good Governance in Chinese Tradition” (Carolina Academic Press, 2013) (co-authored with Xing Lijuan)
- “Global Legal Regimes to Protect the World’s Grasslands” (Carolina Academic Press, 2012)
- "Global Business Law: Principles and Practice of International Commerce and Investment" (Carolina Academic Press, 3rd ed. 2012).
- "Great Legal Traditions: Civil Law, Common Law, and Chinese Law in Historical and Operational Perspective" (Carolina Academic Press, 2011, 2nd printing 2014)
- "China's Legal Soul — The Modern Chinese Legal Identity in Historical Context" (Carolina Academic Press, 2009)
- "General Principles of Business and Economic Law" (Carolina Academic Press, 2008)
- "Losing the Global Development War" (Brill-Nijhoff, 2008)
- "The Future of the Global Economic Organizations" (Transnational Publishers, 2005)
- "Law Codes in Dynastic China" (Carolina Academic Press, 2005) (co-authored with Yanping Wang)
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Justinian’s Corpus Juris Civilis in Comparative Perspective: Illuminating Key Differences Between the Civil, Common, and Chinese Legal Traditions”, 21 Mediterranean Studies 91 (2013)
- “Legal Counsel, Legal Analysis, and Legal Limits: The Role of Law and Lawyers in the Asian Development Bank,” in Asif H. Qureshi & Xuan Gao, International Economic Organizations and Law (2012).
- “Trade Finance”, in The Encyclopedia of Financial Globalization (2012).
- “Civilization and Law: A Dark Optimism Based on the Precedent of Unprecedented Crises,” 59 University of Kansas Law Review 521 (2011).
- "The Global Financial Crisis of 2008-2009 in Context: Reflections on International Legal and Institutional Failings, 'Fixes,' and Fundamentals," 23 Pacific McGeorge Global Business & Development Law Journal 43 (2010).
- "Feeling the Stones When Crossing the River: The Rule of Law in China," 7 Santa Clara Journal of International Law (2010).
- "The Asian Financial Crisis in Retrospect: Observations on Legal and Institutional Lessons Learned after a Dozen Years," 5 East Asia Law Review 31 (2009).
- "In Whose 'Best Interests'? An International and Comparative Assessment of US Rules on Sentencing of Juveniles," 1 Human Rights and Globalization Law Review 89 (2008) (co-authored with Jelani Jefferson).
- "Law and Policy in International Financial Institutions: The Changing Role of Law in the IFIs," 17 Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy 194 (2008).
- "How Letters of Credit Operate in International Commercial Transactions," 77 Journal of the Kansas Bar Association 16 (2008).
- "Protecting and Supporting Indigenous Peoples in Latin America: Evaluating the Recent World Bank and IDB Policy Initiatives," 14 Michigan State University Journal of International Law 383 (2006).
International economic law, international public law, comparative law, legal history, dynastic Chinese law.
J.D., Virginia, 1979, Editorial Board, Virginia Journal of International Law; B.A., M.A. Juris, Oxford, 1977; B.A., Missouri-Columbia, 1975.
Judicial Clerk, D.C. Court of Appeals, 1979-80; Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, 1980-83; Counsel, Asian Development Bank, Manila, Philippines, 1983-88; Counsel, International Monetary Fund, Washington, D.C., 1988-90; Associate Professor, University of Kansas, 1990-95; Professor, 1995-present; Wagstaff Distinguished Professor, 2010-present.
American Society of International Law.