Kevin L. Smith
- Adjunct Faculty
Kevin Smith became the Dean of Libraries at the University of Kansas in May 2016, after 10 years as Director of Copyright and Scholarly Communications at the Duke University Libraries. As both a librarian and a lawyer specializing in intellectual property issues, Smith’s role at Duke was to advise faculty, staff, and students about the impact of copyright, licensing, and the changing nature of scholarly publishing on higher education.
Prior to that, Smith was director of the Pilgrim Library at Defiance College in Ohio, where he also taught constitutional law. His teaching experience is various, having taught courses in theology, law, and library science.
Smith is the author of numerous articles on the impact of copyright law and the internet on scholarly research as well as libraries’ role in the academy. He has been a highly regarded blogger on these issues for many years, and in 2013 published Owning and Using Scholarship: An IP Handbook for Teachers and Researchers with the Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Copyright Law in a Digital Age
Selected Publications —
- Smith, K. & Dickson, K. (Eds.). (2017). Creating the 21st Century Academic Library. Open Access and the Future of Academic Libraries: Implementation (K. Smith & K. Dickson, Eds., Vol. 10). Rowman Littlefield.
- Smith, K. & Dickson, K. (Eds.). (2016). Creating the 21st Century Academic Library. Open Access and the Future of Academic Libraries: Policy and Infrastructure (K. Smith & K. Dickson, Eds., Vol. 9). Rowman Littlefield.
- Smith, K. (2015). Preface: The Value of Telling the Future. In B. Lee Eden (Ed.), Leading the 21st Century Academic Library (xxth ed.) (Vol. vii). Lanham, MD: Rowman Littlefield.
- Smith, K. L. (2015). Figuring on Fair Use. Learned Publishing, 28(3), 225-227.
Selected Presentations —
- Smith, K. . (06/30/2016). Keynote presentation Past and Present of Copyright Law. Kraemer Copyright Conference, University of Colorado. Colorado Springs
- Smith, K. . (11/30/2015). Does Copyright Still Matter for Academic Authors? Scholarly Communications Colloquium, American University. Washington, DC
- Smith, K. . (11/30/2015). Legal Issues for Librarians. Charleston Conference.