• Home
  • Academics
  • Courses
  • Kansas Legal Intern Permit - Rule 719

Kansas Legal Intern Permit - Rule 719

How to qualify for Rule 719

Credit hours requirement

General credit hours requirement: Students may obtain a student practice permit after completion of 59 credit hours and Professional Responsibility. Under the 59 hours rule, the permit allows students to work in law school clinics, field placements, governmental agencies and law offices.

Exception for reduced hours required for in-house law school clinic work: In very limited circumstances, students can receive a student practice permit after completing 44 credit hours, or after completing the first semester of the second year. To meet this exception, students must have successfully completed or be currently enrolled in Professional Responsibility. A permit under this provision is only available if the student is supervised by a licensed attorney who teaches in an in-house law school clinic. At KU Law, that means:

  • Second semester 2Ls can obtain student practice permits allowing them to represent clients for the Project for Innocence or the Legal Aid Clinic. Students must still apply and be accepted to enroll in a clinic.
  • Second semester 2Ls cannot obtain a student practice permit to work in a field placement, a governmental agency or a law office. If the student is not supervised by a licensed attorney who teaches in an in-house law clinic, they must complete 59 credit hours to obtain a permit.

Attorney supervision requirement

Permits are valid for practice under a specific, named supervising attorney: The student practice permit is directly tied to the attorney supervising the intern. In other words, the student cannot obtain a permit and move into another job without notifying Attorney Admissions in the Kansas Supreme Court Clerk's Office. Supervising attorneys must notify the Attorney Admissions office when the student placement with the attorney ends, at which time the student's permit terminates. To reactivate the permit, a new supervising attorney must submit the appropriate paperwork to the Attorney Admissions office. There is no additional fee or application process to reinstate or transfer a student's permit; it only requires the new supervising attorney to submit the required form stating the attorney takes responsibility for the student's legal work during the dates provided. 

A student permit is not a license to practice law anywhere with any supervisor. The permit is tied to practicing law with the specific supervisor. 

Required Forms and Checklist

Kansas Legal Intern Certification Forms

Academic Calendar

Leah Terranova
Assistant Dean, Academic and Student Affairs

Vicki Palmer