Financial Aid


Most students use federal and private loans, grants and scholarships to pay for law school. Learn about financial aid services available at the University of Kansas in the Frequently Asked Questions below.

Financial Aid FAQ

How much does law school cost?

For the 2023-2024 academic year, Kansas resident tuition is $772 per credit hour. Nonresident tuition is $991 for current 1Ls (current 2L and 3L students should visit the Tuition, Fees & Residency page for additional information).

All students must pay an annual campus fee of $1,014. Please visit the Tuition, Fees & Residency page for a breakdown of the cost of attendance.

What type of financial assistance is available for law school?

Most students use federal and private loans, grants and scholarships to pay for law school.

What type of federal financial aid is available?

Federal Student Aid is available to law students based on the cost of attendance. Students are eligible for up to $20,500 in federal unsubsidized direct loans. For amounts not covered by the unsubsidized loan program, the GRAD PLUS loan program is available for law students to borrow up to their cost of attendance minus all other aid (including scholarships and grants). Students must make a request for GRAD PLUS loans to the KU Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

How and when do I apply for financial aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available online at The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships will begin accepting FAFSA applications on October 1.

What is the KU FAFSA code?


How do I apply for summer financial aid?

In addition to completing a FAFSA, complete a Summer Financial Aid Request form. This form is available from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships in mid-February.

What types of KU Law scholarships are available?

KU Law offers a variety of merit- and need-based scholarships. Residents of Kansas who demonstrate superior merit may be interviewed for the Rice Scholar Program, which covers the cost of tuition and fees for 90 credit hours of law school study. Visit the Scholarships page to learn more about law school scholarships.

How do I apply for scholarships offered by KU Law?

For most scholarships, there is no separate application. All admitted applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships. To be considered for need-based scholarships, applicants must complete the FAFSA. The priority application deadline for scholarship consideration is February 15. Admitted students will be notified of additional scholarship opportunities.

How and when will I be notified of my financial aid award?

The Financial Aid & Scholarships office will send award notifications by email beginning in mid-February for students who file the FAFSA early. Accept or decline your financial aid award by visiting the link contained in your email notification.

Am I eligible to pay resident tuition and fees?

The state of Kansas sets a high bar for non-residents to qualify for residency for tuition purposes. Extensive information about the standards is available on the Kansas Board of Regents website. Essentially, if you have not been a Kansas resident prior to law school, you will be considered to have moved here for education purposes and thus not able to enjoy residency status. There are a few notable exceptions under which you may qualify:

  • If you have been a resident of Kansas for 12 of the preceding 60 months.
  • If you or your spouse has been recruited or transferred to Kansas by a Kansas employer.
  • If you are a member of or a veteran of the military.
  • If you are a registered member of a federally recognized Native American tribe or nation, or are otherwise eligible for enrollment at Haskell Indian Nations University.
  • If you are not eligible for Kansas resident tuition rates, you may become eligible by proving your intent to stay in Kansas indefinitely by purchasing property in Kansas, marrying a Kansan, accepting a permanent offer of employment, etc. Note that these are not automatic qualifiers and are simply examples of circumstances that have led to a grant of residency status.

If you are unsure about your status, you may apply for a residency determination through the KU Office of the University Registrar. This can be done prior to enrollment.

Contact the KU Office of the University Registrar for residency information at 785-864-4423 or

What if I have childcare expenses?

The EOF Childcare Grant is available to students who are the custodial parents of children in daycare ages 5 and under. Students wishing to be considered for the grant must submit a FAFSA and a Childcare Grant and Budget Adjustment Request form. The form is typically available at the beginning of September each year and is due within a few weeks of its release. After funding is exhausted, students who have submitted the form will have their Cost of Attendance adjusted in order to reflect their childcare expenses. More information is available from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships at 785-864-4700.

Is there any financial aid available to international students?

International students who have completed a full academic year at KU and are enrolled in at least 6 credit hours may submit the International Student Needs Analysis Worksheet available at by the March 1 priority date in order to be considered.

What if I have special circumstances, such as medical or transportation costs, that make the need for more financial aid important?

Re-evaluations for special circumstances are available. Contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships at 785-864-4700 for details or to request a financial aid advising appointment.

Admissions Events

Contact KU Law Admissions

Ready to be a Jayhawk Lawyer?

Apply today, learn about the value of a degree from KU Law or check your application status.