Ask a Law Librarian
The Wheat Law Library Email Reference Service is primarily for students, faculty and staff of the School of Law and the university community, and Kansas attorneys and citizens. We also welcome questions from non-Kansas residents that relate specifically to Kansas law and legal materials.
Reference Service Guidelines
The reference staff cannot interpret or explain the law to you or advise you on what laws apply to your situation. We cannot give such legal advice because it would constitute the unauthorized practice of law.
The reference staff can:
- Help identify and locate needed legal materials
- Instruct in the variety and use of legal resources and reference tools, including computer databases, and the internet
- Find facts such as names, addresses, phone numbers
The library reference staff will respond to your questions in a timely manner. The response you receive may ask for additional information in order to properly answer your question.
If you need an immediate answer, please call our Reference Desk at 785-864-3025.
Regular Fall and Spring hours for the Reference Desk are:
- 7:30 a.m. - 11 p.m. Monday-Thursday
- 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Friday
- 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday
- 10 a.m. - 11 p.m. Sunday
Regular Summer hours for the Reference Desk are:
- 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday
- 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Friday
- 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday
- 12 p.m. - 8 p.m. Sunday
Please note: these hours are subject to change as necessary.
How to Submit a Reference Question
To submit your reference questions, please email us at email@example.com. The Wheat Law Library reserves the right to limit the scope of its response to email reference questions.