International Trade Law (Bhala)
This assignment covers the first two weeks of class:
Reading: International Trade Law Textbook (Volume I), Preface, Introduction, and Chapters 1-2, 3-7.
Watch video: "International Trade Law with Raj Bhala"
Islamic Law - Ft. Leavenworth (Bhala)
Monday, August 14
Introduction: Ten Threshold Issues
- Life and Times of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) (PBUH) 570/571-632 A.D.
- Revelation, Themes, and Compilation of the Holy Qur'ān 610-650 A.D.
- Understanding Islamic Law (Sharī'a): Preface, Notes on Manuscript Preparation, Introduction: Ten Threshold Issues, and Chapters 1-3.
- Diana Wichtel, "The Words of the Prophet – Islam v Terror: Islamic Law Expert on Understanding Sharia in the Modern World," The Listener (New Zealand), June 17-23, 2017, at 28-31.
- Islam vs. terror: Islamic law expert on understanding sharia in the modern world," Noted (New Zealand), June 21, 2017.
- Watch video: "Understanding Islamic Law with Raj Bhala"
- Speech by President Barack H. Obama, "On a New Beginning," Cairo University, Cairo Egypt, June 4, 2009 (attached to syllabus)
- Qur’ān: Introduction at pp. xiv-xxxvi; Qur’ān, Surah 2 (The Cow) at 2-33 (skim only); Surah 19 (Mary) at 191-95; Surah 20 (Ta Ha) at 196-202; Surah 26 (The Poets) at 232-38; Surah 30 (The Byzantines) at pp. 257-60; Surah 36 (Ya Sin) at pp. 281-84; Surah 37 (Ranged in Rows) at 285-89; Surah 49 (The Private Quarters) at 338-39; Surah 55 (The Lord of Mercy) at 353-55; Surah 56 (That Which is Coming) at 356-58; Surah 69 (The Inevitable Hour) at 387-88; Surah 77 (Winds Set Forth) at 403-04; Surah 105 (The Elephant) at 437; Surah 106 (Quraysh) at 438.