Three committees support diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging initiatives at KU Law: the Faculty and Staff Committee on Diversity & Inclusion, the student-led Dean's Diversity Leadership Council, and the alumni Diversity Advisory Council.
Learn more about the current committee members and each committee's goals on this page.
Faculty/Staff Committee on Diversity & Inclusion
The Faculty and Staff Committee on Diversity & Inclusion promotes tolerance and professionalism in law school and the practice of law.
Committee members for 2022-2023:
- Jamila Jefferson-Jones, faculty (chair)
- Stacey Blakeman, staff
- Jordan Carter, faculty
- Bryanna Hanschu, staff
- Stephen Mazza, faculty
- Jean Phillips, faculty
- Betsy Six, faculty
- Leah Terranova, staff
- Kyle Velte, faculty
- Corey Rayburn Yung, faculty
- Fall Diversity & Inclusion Welcome at Green Hall
- Guest speakers and panels on diversity-related issues
- Forums to foster discussions and training on issues of diversity and equity
- The Diversity Dash, a diversity-themed scavenger hunt for students
- First-year student orientation session on professionalism, communication, and community in the law school and the practice of law
- Professionalism training for clinic students in their third year of law school
- Annual diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging training for faculty during the fall faculty retreat
- Periodic meetings with the Diversity Advisory Council (alumni), the student-led Dean’s Diversity Leadership Council (DDLC), and law student organizations
Dean's Diversity Leadership Council
Established in 2015, the Dean’s Diversity Leadership Council (DDLC) is dedicated to promoting diversity and fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members of the KU Law community.
Among other accomplishments, the DDLC has created and distributed a KU Law Climate Survey and hosted a panel discussion on the importance of diversity in the legal profession.
Diversity Advisory Council
The Diversity Advisory Council counts among its members culturally diverse and accomplished KU Law alumni who have agreed to share their wisdom and experience. They serve as a resource to Dean Stephen Mazza in the recruitment and retention of students from groups that are under-represented in law school classrooms, among the practicing bar and on the judicial bench.
Alumni Diversity Advisory Council members:
- Mayra Aguirre, L’07
- Cynthia Bryant, L'95
- Laura Clark Fey, L’92
- Amy Fowler, L’00
- Rico Kolster, L’00
- Pat Konopka, L’94
- Jehan Kamil Moore, L’05
- Demetrius Peterson, L’09
- Melissa Plunkett, L'11
- Dru Sampson, L'96
- Kelley Sears, L’74
- Henry Thomas, L’13
- Jabari Wamble, L’06
- Issaku Yamaashi, L’00
- Alyse Zadalis, L’15
- Holly Zane, L’86
- Gabe Zorogastua, L’07